- Architected and implemented a complex registration wizard for merchant services customers for a client of Tag Creative Studio. As the sole back-end developer, built the Ruby on Rails- and MySQL-backed five-step workflow with more than 70 fields and strict, interdependent validations for each.
- Implemented from precise specification a Node.js application for initializing, managing and communicating with instances of other Node.js applications as requested by remote clients. The application is modular, allowing new types of application instances to be supported while maintaining strict separation between components.
- Developed a web frontend and Node.js backend for a Redis-backed English-Spanish translation database for Componica, LLC.
- Designed and prototyped a social networking and live chat system in Ruby on Rails, backed by MySQL and Redis. The product users to be "paired" according to several attributes, for which Redis' fast set operations were an excellent match.
- Developed and maintained large, public-facing web applications and e-commerce sites in Ruby on Rails and object-oriented PHP.
- Designed and implemented a Ruby client for a complex third-party API which gathered search engine data for DIYSEO.com.
- Profiled and optimized complex queries on databases with tens of millions of records.
- Worked directly with clients for whom an hour's downtime equaled thousands of dollars in lost revenue.
October 2008–July 2009
- Opened Iowa City's first and only coworking space, now flourishing at 218 E. Washington St. downtown.
February 2007–September 2008
Tutorial Writer, Screencaster
- Wrote, recorded, and produced 26 short form how-to screencasts (ex. 1, 2, 3, 4) for Tucows' Butterscotch.com in one month on accomplishing common and time-saving tasks on Windows and the web.
- Wrote dozens of instructional articles on using software and understanding computing concepts, from backing up browser settings to making time-lapse movies.
March 2005–February 2007
- Managed the Download Squad blog, building and supervising a team of more than a dozen bloggers and growing traffic from zero to more than 1.5 million monthly pageviews
- Wrote and published thousands of blog posts on all topics relating to software and web applications
- Contributed extensively to internal documentation and technical discussions
- Coursework including software design, systems software, data management systems, and progamming language concepts (including functional programming, virtual machines, and declarative languages)
Mobile computing, web standards (current and emerging) and microformats, typography and design, web curation, blogs and new media, nontraditional modes of working, open source, vim, photography, art, baking.Fork me on GitHub